Few people have come across the concept of PHP. Especially it concerns those who have their own website. It is impossible to present the work of the resource in the network without PHP support. Today, almost every hosting provider , whether domestic or foreign, provides PHP hosting. Let’s see what this abbreviation means.
PHP (from English “hypertext preprocessor” – hypertext preprocessor or “personal home page tools” – tools for creating personal web pages). A script-based programming language used to develop web applications, most often dynamic. This language is used to develop Internet applications that are easily embedded in the HTML code, which makes it almost indispensable for website building.
PHP language is very popular among developers around the world. This is due to the fact that the language has great potential and built-in tools for developing web applications.
PHP language features
- A program written in PHP is executed on the server side and not on the developer’s computer. That is, you send the program code to the server, and it returns you pure HTML code. It is very convenient and saves user resources.
- PHP runs on all major operating system platforms and is compatible with many brands of servers and databases, which makes it very attractive and easy to use.
- PHP language is very versatile. In one day of working with him, even the most inexperienced user can write his first program code. But at the same time, this language is so perfect that it can satisfy the needs of the most professional programmer.
- PHP interacts with many database management systems, which makes it universal. For example, with such popular DBMS as MySQL, MySQLi, Oracle (OCI8), Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, Cloudscape and Apache Derby, FrontBase and others.
- PHP supports HTTP cookies. That is, carries out tracking and identification of visitors previously present on the site.
- Session support in PHP. When each site visitor is assigned a session identifier, and at the time the site is visited by a specific visitor, PHP checks and identifies the identifier, and then restores the previously saved environment.
- Support for working with XForms, which allow the use of a non-standard form representation in the browser.
- PHP allows you to upload files to the server using various methods (POST, PUT) as well as uploading several files to the server.
- Ability to work with remote files.
PHP programming language features
Of course, this is not all the features of the PHP language. But, without going into details, and without taking you into the jungle of programming, I would say that even these possibilities are enough to make a choice in favor of this programming language.
Work with PHP
In order to get started with PHP, you need to install additional software on your computer. One of the most popular today is DENWER, with an Apache web server and a PHP interpreter. You can also use another method – register a site on the Internet on a server with PHP and upload updates there. But this method is quite expensive and inconvenient.
After that, you need to create a file in the web space with the php extension and place the necessary instructions in it, that is, specify a specific function that this program should perform. For example, create a site.php file :
<? php echo "This is the first page of my site"; ?>
After saving, you will see the result of your programming at http: //www.yourdomain.com/site.php.
For more information about the work and the basics of php, you can see in the video at the end of the article.
I just want to say that working with PHP is very simple.
Recognition – the PHP language was created on the basis of all languages known to programmers C and Pascal. Therefore, it is convenient for PHP programmers and novice webmasters to work with the PHP language, because at school we all learned these languages and we all know their basics and are preserved somewhere in the subcortex of our brain.
Ease of use – a program code written in the PHP programming language can be very voluminous, and can consist of a single line. The main thing is to indicate the beginning and end of the task “<?” And “?>”. And the rest depends only on the capabilities and imagination of the programmer.
Efficiency is a very important indicator for working with multi-user environments, such as the global WWW network. Therefore, PHP has implemented a resource allocation mechanism and improved work with object-oriented programming. Special reference counting functions allow you to control server memory usage.
Security – language developers pay special attention to the security level of the system. There is a possibility of protection at the system administration level (that is, the site administrator can set a safe mode that restricts user access to certain functions or content of the site). And also there is the possibility of protection at the application level (allows you to encrypt the application program so that when it is sent at the user’s request it was not harmed).
Open use – PHP developers used the Open Source strategy, which allowed to distribute the source code of program texts among all users of the network. Besides the fact that such a system provided an invaluable service to users, it also helped and helps to develop and improve the PHP language to this day through the introduction of changes and user recommendations.
I can not do without a fly in the ointment in this huge barrel of honey. This is not to be too sweet, give the main disadvantages of the programming language PHP.
Some users complain about the slowness of the processes during the processing of the program with a complex scenario. But such a problem, in my opinion, is in every programming language and the benefit is that progress does not stand still and every new day brings us the fruits of the work of programmers and developers.
Today it is difficult to imagine buying a hosting without the support of the PHP language. If earlier this service required additional payment, then today it is almost impossible to find a good hosting service that would not support the PHP language. No exception and American hosting companies , most of which offer hosting PHP. And this is the main evidence that the PHP language deserves the praises that programmers from all over the world sing for it.
If you want to learn more about PHP, I recommend the video course “PHP & MySQL for beginners”, which tells about the creation of dynamic sites. About the author of this DVD, Evgenia Popov, you can read more in my article 10 reasons why his courses are so great . A bonus to read will be a substantial discount.
In the meantime, you can watch a video about the basics of php.